Tuesday, April 14, 2009

First Problem - LinkSYS-N WMP300N and ndiswrapper

Ran into one of my first "linux-y" problems today. I installed a Linksys-N WMP300N PCI wireless card into my new computer and Ubuntu failed to recognize it. :(

I jumped back to my old laptop (still running Windows) and searched the forums for about an half an hour until I can across a post that walked me through how to get this card working.

For the most part, the good people at Ubuntu, has really good hardware support. I guess that when "newer" hardware does come out it does take some time to catch up and get Ubuntu to automatically recognize it. So I am not discouraged at all by this.

The post I found said that I had to use a little piece of programming called ndiswrapper which apparently is a wrapper (hence the name) for a lot of window drivers. Which is good to know since I can easily foresee this problem coming up again perhaps for a video cards or something. Here is the link to the post that I had to follow:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=340689

Of course, the post calls for me to download some files off of the net.... and of course, I CANT! But it worked out because the file that I needed, ndiswrapper, is also located on the LiveCD so it was just a matter of finding the file and installing it.

One thumbdrive later, I had all the files that I needed and the step-by-step forum tutorial worked like a charm.

I did have to use the command line and it wasn't too bad to be honest. I still need to find a good tutorial on the subject of commands so if anyone knows of one the please leave a comment.

I had a very complex and strange run of emotions during this process.... it was part terror that I would complete screw up my OS, frustration of not really knowing what I was looking for, confusion in wondering if I was doing anything right, and pure exhilaration!!! I was having soooo friken much fun.

For those of you who are on the fence with Linux..... come on over the water is warm and inviting and the community is absolutely awesome. I kindof feel like I am part of a club, group, society... whatever you want to call it.

This is just awesome! Can't explain it any other way. :)

2 comments:

  1. A good tutorial on the command line, and begining ubuntu in general is this free book .. check it out it covers a lot of topics and it comes in a PDF file.

    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/

    I know what you mean about the fun.. i remember the first time i got wireless to work , i was sooo excited lol. :) You get a great sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might find it useful too:

    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/#a

    ReplyDelete